The name is a corruption of the original name of Blemundsbury, after William de Blemund, who was the landowner there from 1201.
History and Places of Interest
- British Museum
- The UCL Bloomsbury theatre
- History of the London Borough of Camden, from the borough website
- The CAMRA North London newsletter, issue 12 has a short piece on the history of the area and one of its pubs, the Museum Tavern
- Notes for a Women's History Walk in Bloomsbury
- MyVillage on the history of the area and the Bloomsbury Group
- Observer Magazine article on the Brunswick Centre
- Open Guide recommendations:
- Just off Bloomsbury square is Pied Bull Yard and you'll find Truckles bar within (along with a host of vintage camera shops). In summer you can eat and drink outside in the yard away from the traffic and come the evening head to the downstairs bar for their home brewed ale in pewter tankards! The beer is good but expensive, but you can always find somewhere to sit on a Friday night!
- Open Guide recommendations: [Coffee Matters]? is just across the road from Holborn station, and does a range of Fairtrade coffees (soya milk available), freshly-squeezed juices and interesting sandwiches.
- Saul's photos of the Brunswick Centre — taken from "the residents' courtyard above the supermarket and in the corridor of O'Donnell Court".
OS X co-ord: 530009 OS Y co-ord: 181736 (Latitude: 51.519081 Longitude: -0.125978)