The Open Guide to London: the free London guide - Differences between Version 8 and Version 7 of Adding New Pages
|Version 8||Version 7|
|== Line 14 ==||== Line 14 ==|
* '''Pubs, cinemas, restaurants, etc.:''' ''Name (locale)'' (e.g. [[Windsor Castle (Notting Hill)]]).
* '''Pubs, cinemas, restaurants, etc.:''' ''Name, Postcode'' (e.g. [[Banker, EC4R 3TE]]).
** For help on finding postcodes see [http://pol.royalmail.com/dda/txt/pf.asp the accessible version of the Royal Mail postcode finder] (the normal version of this is very nearly entirely unusable).
** http://www.yell.com/ is another place to find postcodes.
|== Line 16 ==|
** See our [[FAQ]] for more details
|== Line 26 ==|
|== Line 28 ==|
|== Line 33 ==|
summary='Quick start guide to writing pages'
So You Want To Add A New Page
That's great! It's easy to do: use this form. You can also edit a page, and add the name of your new page in it somewhere [[Like This]]: after saving, it'll appear with a question mark link. Click the link and your new page is there ready to edit.
To make things easier for people to find, we've adopted a few conventions for naming and style.
However: don't worry if you don't know some of the information that pages typically include, such as a postcode. Write what you know, and somebody else will like as not fill in the rest. (You can say Fix Please if you like.)
Notes on Naming Pages
- Many wikis use WikiNamesLikeThis. This is really UgLy. We have ones with spaces in instead.
- Please try to make sure that the Wiki Names you choose are good when considered in isolation. East London Line is better than East London if you're talking about a Tube line, and Chinese Food is better than Chinese if you want a page to recommend your favourite Chinese restaurants.
- Pubs, cinemas, restaurants, etc.: Name, Postcode (e.g. Banker, EC4R 3TE).
- For help on finding postcodes see the accessible version of the Royal Mail postcode finder (the normal version of this is very nearly entirely unusable).
- http://www.yell.com/ is another place to find postcodes.
- For pubs at least, we're leaving off any leading "The". Well, unless it looks completely stupid like that.
- Standalone places: Just the name, e.g. 1 Canada Square.
- If you decide that you've incorrectly named a page by mistake, move the content to a new page with the correct name, and replace the contents of the current one with "delete". The OpenGuides software doesn't currently support deletion, but as soon as it does, this will let us swiftly track down pages to get rid of. Note - if you need to rename an existing page, you must update all the backlinks (pages pointing to it - click the page's title to see them) first, otherwise you will create a mess.
List all versions