Square at the heart of Westminster, joining five roads:
- Bridge Street (home to Big Ben, which leads to the [Victoria Embankment]? and onto [Westminster Bridge]?)
- St Mary Street (outside the Houses of Parliament, leading to [Millbank]?)
- Broad Sanctuary (outside [Westminster Abbey]?, leading to [Victoria Street]?)
- Great George Street (leading into St. James' Park and thus [Birdcage Walk]? and [Horse Guards Parade]?)
- Parliament Street (leading into Whitehall via the Cenotaph)
As shown by this list, this is a key tourist attraction, being right outside Parliament, Big Ben (or rather St. Stephen's Tower) and Westminster Abbey. Westminster Station and numerous bus routes serve the area, as does [Westminster Pier]?.
If you're touring the London sights, unless you have trouble walking then don't bother catching the tube from here to nearby sights such as Trafalgar Square or the London Eye - both are only 10 minutes' walk max.
Parliament Square is also the semi-permanent home to various demonstrations on its eastern side, where placards and flags are placed against the railings next to the open space in the centre. Current "favourites" include the war in Iraq and animal experimentation.