Church Of St Mary Le Bow
- St Mary Le Bow Church, Cheapside (map of this place)
- EC2V 6AU
- Nearby Tube stops: Bank / St Paul's / Mansion House
Located on [Cheapside]? in the City of London, and originally of Norman construction, the name derives from the dedication "Sancta Maria de Arcubus", a reference to the arches (bows) in the crypt. The Norman church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and rebuilt by [Christopher Wren]?. Wren's church was burnt out during the second World War, and the interior rebuilt to the designs of Lawrence King. The bells were also destroyed on both occasions, and were recast successively by Christopher Hodson of Kent, Gillet and Johnson of Croydon, and the Whitechapel Bellfoundry.
The Norman crypt is still extant, and now contains a vegetarian cafe. The crypt chapel incorporates some brickwork believed to be Roman.
(Latitude: 51.513290 Longitude: -0.092054)
Last edited 2006-05-15 16:14:56 (version 7; diff). List all versions.