The tops of Tower Bridge are just visible in the background.
Photo by Ivor Williams, 2005.
There are a number of bridges across the Thames. On the main section of the river (from where it widens to before it reaches the [Thames Flood Barrier]?, west to east, they are:
- [Kew Bridge]?
- [Kew Railway Bridge]?
- [Chiswick Bridge]?
- [Barnes Bridge]?
- Hammersmith Bridge
- Putney Bridge
- [Wandsworth Bridge]?
- [Battersea Railway Bridge]?
- Battersea Bridge
- Albert Bridge
- [Chelsea Bridge]? and Grosvenor Bridge (which carries railway lines from Victoria Station)
- Vauxhall Bridge
- [Lambeth Bridge]?
- [Westminster Bridge]?
- [Hungerford Railway Bridge]? and the new [Hungerford Footbridge]?
- Waterloo Bridge
- Blackfriars Bridge (and [Blackfriars Railway Bridge]?)
- the Millennium Bridge
- [Southwark Bridge]?
- [Alexandra Bridge]? (Cannon Street Railway Bridge) and the proposed Jubilee Bridge
- London Bridge
- Tower Bridge
The Boat Race
The annual university boat race between Oxford and Cambridge university teams, takes place in the month of April.
The starting line is at Putney bridge, and the finish line at [Chiswick Bridge]?. The banks, bridges and [riverside pubs]? get extremely crouded, so it's as well to get there early if you want a strategic view.
See http://www.theboatrace.org/ for more information.
Arup (builders of the Millennium Bridge) have a nice bridge map for central London. The Corporation of London bridges page has historical information on the five bridges that it owns (London, Tower, Blackfriars, Southwark and the Millennium bridge).